BWY Yoga Foundation Course starts March 2021
The BWY Foundation Course 1 is a 60-hour personal development course for anyone who has been attending yoga classes for 2 years or more with a recognised yoga teacher.
The course is great fun, where you will learn lots of brilliant yoga and will meet some amazing people.
The course that ran in 2020 (covid year) ended up being re-written to meet the changing demands of learning online. We were able to develop a Foundation Course Community in which friendships flourished and a supportive network was formed.
When the weather (and covid rules) permitted we ran some sessions in a covid safe outdoor learning environment which cemented the relationships people had formed and created a brilliant and safe way for people to mix.
“The course delivery was re-written by Sarah and it worked superbly. Really well run. Thank you!”– Sam H 2020 Yoga Foundation Course
“I didn't believe the course would be as good as it was. We started a couple of weeks late due to lockdown 1, but it was worth waiting for. Well done Sarah x”– Ann K 2020 Yoga Foundation Course
“Professional, thoughtful and a breath of fresh air. Sarah really knows her stuff and was flexible enough to get some outside sessions too. Thank you so much for all you did”– Gemma T 2020 Yoga Foundation Course
The course will further your understanding of yoga, develop your personal practice and widen your experience. The course provides a comprehensive grounding in basic practical techniques taught in the context of the philosophy that underpins Yoga. It is an ideal preparation for those who may wish to train as yoga teachers in the future but is great for yoga students who do not wish to teach, but would like to know a bit more.
The aim of the course is to go deeper into the teachings of yoga than a typical yoga class allows, providing students with the knowledge, the tools and the space to deepen their relationship with yoga. The course will cover a comprehensive range of asana, pranayama, meditation, mudra, mantra, kriya, yogic anatomy (chakras, nadis), relaxation, as well as covering the history of yoga, yoga philosophy (including the Yoga Sutras attributed to Patanjali)and the different schools and paths of yoga.
The BWY Foundation course is for:
* students who wish to deepen their personal yoga practice, increase their knowledge of yoga and meet like minded yogis.
* those considering yoga teacher training as a future option – the course provides a good introduction to and preparation for Certificate and Diploma teaching courses
More Details and COVID Stuff
• The course follows the BWY syllabus and is approximately 50% practice and 50% theoretical. Although there is no compulsory written homework – no essays, students will be expected to keep a personal practice journal (written, auditory, photographic, video or other) and background research (reading, listening to audio books, watching videos, YouTube etc) is encouraged.
• The course not only covers the the BWY curriculum but forms a basis of future Yoga development through Sarah O'Connor's experience in teaching, her methods and insatiable apetite for continuous professional development. Sarah is a well known and respected teacher in the BWY, IYN and Yoga Alliance Professionals.
• Membership of the BWY is required to attend this course.
• The venue is a combination of the beautiful light and airy hall in Sam Lucas JMI Hitchin (30 mins from Central London), and your own private yoga space (Zoom)
• The course is held on Saturday Day and the following Tuesday Evenings - once each month - from March 2021 to November 2021. * See dates below. We operate the Tuesday Evening in order to reduce Zoom fatigue on the Saturday sessions.
(During the course we will endeavour to open our doors for face-to-face sessions on Saturday - when its safe to do so.)
• To qualify for the certificate, a minimum of 80% attendance is required.
• We ensure ALL students were included in our decision making processes. This included an H&S risk assesment regarding holding face-to-face open air classes. This is your course, so expect us to be inclusive and respectful of all our students needs (see section on student council).
2021 Course Dates:
27/03/2021, 17/04/2021, 22/05/2021, 26/06/2021, 24/07/2021, 21/08/2021, 11/09/2021, 25/09/2021, 23/10/2021, 27/11/2021
The price is determined by the BWY at £660.
£60 of which is for registration with BWY.
This course will start 27 March 2021
We have a small but active student body. We encourage student representation at faculty, and course levels. This includes seats on our standards committee, and at variety levels within courses. This helps us to maintain quality of standards for future and current courses and maintains a level of welfare for all our staff and students.
We encourage participation and we keep it fun! However it isn't obligatory and there's not actually that much to do.